After a stressful day at my day-job I needed a little "soap therapy" when I got home. I finally received my soap order from Canwax (they ship fast, I'm just impatient) so I could finally get making more soap. I decided to use some Blood Orange essential oil that I had forgotten I had. I did in inventory the week before and discovered some long forgotten fragrances. I forgot how much I luv the scent of Blood Orange! Such a nice fresh citrus scent, perfect for summer.
I mulled over which colours I wanted to use and finally decided on Red oxide, Orange oxide and some activates charcoal to make it pop. I've been using some new plastic molds I picked up at Staples and I quite like them. If anything, for the fact that I'm not measuring and cutting out freezer paper to line them (I hate lining molds!). I had a big box of small garbage bags that didn't fit any garbage bins in my house and luckily they're the perfect size for these slab molds.
I did a faux funnel technique and poured in 5 spots in the mold. I alternated between red, black, orange and the white soap base. (this being my "old" technique). Then for the very first time I did a hanger swirl technique. I went up and down and from the bottom to the top (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you must search YouTube for a hanger swirl tutorial, it's awesome). I saved a little soap to do a swirl on the top.
I've battled with ash since day one and have finally gotten fed up with having to trim the tops of my bars and losing some of the nice swirl on the top. So I dug out my big bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol and spritzed the top with this. I may have gotten a little carried away, but I do not want to see any ash on this batch.
I snapped a quick picture before I put the soap to bed. I cannot wait to get home tonight and cut it. I hope it's not too soft to cut by then. Again, patience is not my virtue.